Frequently Asked Questions for Our Bankruptcy Lawyer in Battle Creek, MI

You are reading this because you need the help of a bankruptcy lawyer in Battle Creek, MI. The law firm of Michael B. Walling, PLC offers knowledgeable representation for clients that need a fresh financial start. We can also provide you with an elder law attorney to ensure your medical care and your assets' distribution after your death per your wishes. Contact us for a confidential consultation.

Protecting Assets-Nursing Home

Q: Should I sell my assets to help pay for nursing home costs?

A: No. We can help you cover the cost of nursing home care by filing for Medicaid. If you qualify, this government program will provide the funds to pay for nursing home fees.


Q: Will I be penalized if I give away assets to qualify for Medicaid?

A: You may be subject to a penalty if you transfer assets to family members within five years of applying for Medicaid.


Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney

Q: What's the difference between a will and a trust?

A: A will is a legal document that explains how you want your assets distributed to your family and others after your death. A trust also gives you power over who receives your assets without the need for probate. Also, estate taxes are less for a trust than for a will.


Q: How can I designate someone to handle my personal and business affairs if I cannot?

A: A durable power of attorney is a document that allows you to appoint someone to make business, legal, and medical decisions for you if you become disabled.



Q: Will creditors continue calling me if I file for bankruptcy?

A: No. Once we file your case, the Court issues an Order that halts all collection activity right away (lawsuits, phone calls, and wage garnishments).


Please call our office for a free initial consultation* 

Battle Creek:        Phone  (269) 968-1101

4625 Beckley Rd,             Fax       (269) 968-9505

Bldg 400       

Battle Creek, MI 49015, USA                                      

Kalamazoo:           Phone  (269) 324-7344

6312 West Main Street     Fax       (269) 324-2767

Kalamazoo, MI 49009, USA

* Except Asset Protection & Family Law consultations